Monday, January 29, 2007

Greetings from the Valley!! (Post 1)

Hey I guess I have to do some sort of an update though I have been terribly busy and today would be no exception really... :)

Ever since I arrived at the valley, I have been bombarded with tons of things to do- getting my social security number (having got to it as yet), am in the process of getting my full california license (no it ain't that easy to convert nowadays), getting a car (I finally got a Saturn 94), setting up my bank account (and not being able to use it until 2 weeks later which hinders alot of my transactions), buying the stuff I need at home (like a comforter and cupboards of some sort that I need to put my stuff), finding a church (I think I would be going to Aunty Linda's church down in the south- 45 min drive from my home), and talking to my boss about expectations and my classes, trying to organise my deadlines so that me and my family can decide whether for me to go down to singapore or for them to come up to the valley to visit me, setting up my stuff at home, learning how to get around, and trying to find my way around menial tasks like exercise (I don't think I would be going to any gym here- it's too boring!) and laundry...

*that's just a gist*

All that without owning a car to get around.. So you get this feeling that you're like this little dependent girl who needs to wait for her senior to knock off work to bring her to do her stuff which is really late in the evening as well as in the morning to go to work... You know me- I don't like to depend too much on others but here I have learnt it well enough! :) I still have to pay for the fuel for being driven around :( but oh well... what else can you ask for?

I have been reading the Word every morning when I get up and eat my breakfast- I eat alot since it's especially cold here- in fact, this is one of the coldest winter in history; and I am pretty worried about my weight! But thank God all's well and I can finally start to buy my groceries and stop eating greasy food from some 'roach coach' (this is a food van that goes around selling food for cheaper prices) and start eating more healthily! (I hope...):p

I had an emotional breakdown as I told some of you guys whom I was fortunate enough to catch online- the weekend before last... everything just came to me in a swamp and I didn't know how to handle the uncertainties that came along with it. I realise that I am a pretty up-tight person who needs to know everything on her fingertips before doing anything... after almost 2 weeks here? Well, you just learn to kick your ass and move on... no one's going to wait for you- and things and climates change like the wind... I have to adapt.

Thank God he rescued me from this emotional breakdown- whilst I didn't find much comfort talking to the girls in my NOC batch, I got more comfort from just doing tasks like marketing with Ryan (used to be my SHSS senior) and talking to the kind Alvin. When Yangfeng came it has been nice since he's really nice as well (he's my house mate)...

But everyone's busy and the best thing yet was getting to meet Aunty Linda, my dad's ex-boss and good friend... I stayed with her over the weekend and it was smashing! She brought me to church, was so hospitable, brought me grocery shopping as well as shopping for a while at an outlet store. We also went to her friend's garage sale and got some cheap tables and cushions to act as my 'table and chair' for my studies... She's so nice... :) No I haven't shopped like anything yet so don't ask me to buy this and that- I have to learn how to get around first!

America's a great place to live in- as long as you don't live in the areas like mine- we're in kinda the not-so-safe place...I am sorry if I haven't been replying all your smses and emails and msn messages! My new handphone number is put up on my MSN... so if anything do message me through that number! I have been terribly busy and though this week would be more of a breather for me- next week would mark the beginning of my classes- which is going to be super intensive... so I really hope I would be able to cope with it all, still have enough rest and stay healthy... I have been trying to see how I can exercise... but other than considering a few dance classes around my area (I don't know if those would be good but i pray and hope so!) I won't be doing those heavy intensive hourly long swims or workouts like back in singapore... :( This is pretty bad... but oh well u can't always have your cake and eat it too ya?

Before leaving I had my reservations I realised, but God's been showing me so much and I thank God for being there for me... and I finally come to terms with the fact that this and his plan is the best for me... and I have yet to see all that he wants me to accomplish and do... I was too eager to do everything in my power to complete what he wants me to do here... but I simply rushed and did not do things in accordance to his timing and not in his power... I have to learn and let go... of many things back at home... But he has given me am extremely loving family and a fantastic bf, wonderful friends to encourage me and push me along...

The weather's about 3-8 degrees here... I'm having fun playing dress up with layerings and coats... :0) for now...

Till I update again!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home